Friday, January 28, 2011

"How to Pray for Your Kids" with Julie Sanders

Even though today's title was "How to Pray for Your kids" I think the take home message was really how to teach your children to pray.

We had a great time today listening to fellow mom Julie Sanders.  Here are just some of the many points she made it today's talk: (I know Julie could write these much better than I can, but here were my notes)
  • We are not always going to be with our children.
  • Fears (for our kids) can motivate us to pray, but they shouldn't consume our prayers
  • When we are afraid it is okay to share that with our children, as long as we then react in the proper way by going to our heavenly Father
  • Prayer can be one of our biggest ministries to our children
  • We need to pass on prayer to our kids, but we can not impart what we do not possess
  • The verse Psalms 56:3 is a great one for our children to memorize, "When I am afraid, I will trust in Him."
  • Any situation can be inserted into the above verse, "When I am ______, I will trust in Him" For example, "When I am in the dark....", or "When I am at a new school...."
  • Other good verses: Psalms 86:6-8, Psalms 145:17-19 and Jeremiah 29:11-12
  • An acronym to remind us how to pray with our children is CHIMP:
    • Comfortable - use words children can understand
    • Hallowed - teach your children to pray to God with respect
    • Impulsive - pray anytime, anywhere
    • Meaningful - pray about things that matter to your children
    • Personal - use names in your prayers
  • When we face our fears, we can pass our prayers
Thanks to Julie for coming out today!  A great resource she shared was her "Not Afraid" book.  You can download a copy as a guide to make your own or email me at boudreauxb at gmail dot com and I can help you make one with your childrens' pictures in it.  Julie had three different sizes of the book; one for at home, one for in the car, and a small one for a diaper bag or school bag.  I love the visual nature and personal quality of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment